The Metamorphosis and Other Stories, Franz Kafka
The Death of Ivan Ilych and Other Stories, Leo Tolstoy
Gerald R. Ford, Douglas Brinkley
My reading rotation, with my current category in bold and my last completed from each category in blue:
- Next item from my book list, 52 Great Books to Read from the New York Public Library, Lynn Gordon , Chronicle Books, 1998.
(The Metamorphosis and Other Stories, Franz Kafka)
- Item suggested by and/or owned by my wife.
(Night • Dawn • Day, Elie Weisel)
- Suggestion from my local library, or its latest annual community-wide One Read selection.
(Nomadland: Surviving America in the Twenty-First Century, Jessica Bruder)
- My personal choice, which may be from any of the other categories or something entirely different.
(Silent Spring, Rachel Carson)
- A biography of one of the US presidents.
(Lone Star Rising: Lyndon Johnson and His Times, 1908-1960, Robert Dallek)
- Suggestion from a friend, family member, or book club.
(Ready Player One, Ernest Cline)
- Wild Card–a title that was an impulse or recommendation and moved ahead of my next book already in the queue.
(The Old Man and the Sea, Ernest Hemingway)
- I am also reading one presidential biography in between each category.
(Richard Nixon: The Life, John A Farrell)
My collection as it was recently. Owned presidents currently are: 1Washington, 2Adams, 3Jefferson, 4Madison, 5Monroe, 6Adams, 7Jackson, 8Van Buren, 9Harrison, 10Tyler, 11Polk, 12Taylor, 13Fillmore, 14Pierce, 15Buchanan, 16Lincoln, 17Johnson, 18Grant, 19Hayes, 20Garfield, 21Arthur, 22Cleveland, 23Harrison, 24Cleveland, 25McKinley, 26Roosevelt, 27Taft, 28Wilson, 29Harding, 30Coolidge, 31Hoover, 32Roosevelt, 33Truman, 34Eisenhower, 35Kennedy, 36Johnson, 37Nixon, 38Ford, 40Reagan, 41Bush, and 42Clinton.
As of Christmas 2019, I now own a biography of every deceased president. For the living presidents, I have not made a real effort to own one, as their entire life story is still being written. For the most recent presidents, I believe it will take some time before we see a fair assessment of their administrations, and of their lives as a whole. For the record, the living presidents are: 39 (Carter), 42 (Clinton), 43 (Bush), 44 (Obama) and 45 (Trump).