The Biographies I’ve Read of Each U.S. President
From three online “Best of” lists, and impulse pick-ups.
- Washington: A Life, Ron Chernow
- John Adams, David McCullough
- Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power, Jon Meacham
- James Madison: A Biography, Ralph Louis Ketcham
- James Monroe: The Quest for National Identity, Harry Amon
- John Quincy Adams: A Public Life, A Private Life, Paul C. Nagel
- The Life of Andrew Jackson (abridged), Robert V. Remini
- Martin Van Buren, The Romantic Age of American Politics, John Niven
- Old Tippecanoe: William Henry Harrison and His Time, Freeman Cleaves
- John Tyler: Champion of the Old South, Oliver P. Chitwood
- Polk: The Man Who Transformed the Presidency and America, Walter Bornemann
- Zachary Taylor: Soldier, Planter, Statesman of the Old Southwest, K. Jack Bauer
- Millard Fillmore: Biography of a President, Robert J. Rayback
- Franklin Pierce: Young Hickory of the Granite Hills, Roy F. Nichols
- President James Buchanan: A Biography, Philip S. Klein
- A. Lincoln: A Biography, Ronald C. White, Jr.
- Andrew Johnson: A Biography, Hans L. Trefousse
- American Ulysses, Ronald C. White, Jr.
- Rutherford B. Hayes and His America, Harry Barnard
- Garfield: A Biography, Allan Peskin
- Gentleman Boss: The Life and Times of Chester Alan Arthur, Thomas C. Reeves
- Grover Cleveland: A Study in Courage, To the Loss of the Presidency, Allan Nevins
- Benjamin Harrison, Charles Calhoun
- Grover Cleveland, A Study in Courage, To the End of a Career, Allan Nevins
- William McKinley and His America, H. Wayne Morgan
- Mornings on Horseback, David McCullough [Theodore Roosevelt]
- The Life and Times of William Howard Taft, Henry F. Pringle
- Woodrow Wilson: A Biography, John Milton Cooper, Jr.
The Ones Ahead
Biographies I plan to read later.
- 29. The Harding Era: Warren G. Harding and His Administration, Robert H. Murray
- 30. Calvin Coolidge: The Quiet President, Donald R. McCoy
- 31. Herbert Hoover: A Public Life, David Burner
- 32. No Ordinary Time, Doris Kearnes Goodwin [Franklin Roosevelt]
- 33. Truman, David McCullough
- 34. Eisenhower: Soldier and President, Stephen E. Ambrose
- 35. An Unfinished Life, Robert Dallek [John F. Kennedy]
- 36. Lone Star Rising: Lyndon Johnson and His Times, Robert Dallek
- 37. Nixonland, Rick Perlstein
- 38. Gerald Ford, Douglas Brinkley
- 39. Jimmy Carter: A Comprehensive Biography, Peter Bourne
- 40. President Reagan, Lou Cannon
- 41. George H.W. Bush, Timothy Naftali
- 42. First in His Class, David Maraniss [Bill Clinton]
- 43. To be determined [George W. Bush]
- 44. To be determined [Barack Obama]
- 45. To be determined [Donald Trump]
- 7. American Lion: Andrew Jackson in the White House, John Meacham
- 18. Grant: A Biography, William S. McFeeley
- 18. Personal Memoirs, Ulysses S. Grant
- 33. The Autobiography of Harry S. Truman, Harry Truman and Robert H. Ferrell*
- 34. Eisenhower in War and Peace, Jean Edwards
- 41. 41: A Portrait of My Father, George W. Bush
- 42. My Life, Bill Clinton
Biographies I’ve read of other significant people in American history.
- Benjamin Franklin: An American Life, Walter Isaacson
- Alexander Hamilton, Ron Chernow
- Santa Anna of Mexico, Will Fowler
- Team of Rivals, Doris Kearns Goodwin
- The Autobiography of Malcolm X, Malcolm X, Alex Haley
* Already read. Also the first presidential biography I ever read.
Special Thanks to Steve at BestPresidentialBios.com for his hard work and inspiration.